24 Mar Warrington Markets Plans for LYLM 2013
There’s masses going on in Warrington for Love Your Local Market 2013 and the town centre will celebrate a two week festival with the main objective being stimulating small business. Local trader and cake maker extraordinaire Alison from Alison Loves to Bake will also be helping to celebrate LYLM and will be baking a Love your Local Market Cake that will be sold off piece by piece at the end of the fortnight to raise money for charity.
- Love your Local Market is an exciting new national campaign to showcase markets of all types from around the UK. Many markets will feature special activities between 15 – 29 May 2013.
- National organisations involved in markets are working together to develop the campaign as a response to the Mary Portas Report on the future of our High Streets.
Events and activities include:
Radio Warrington 87.8FM
A dedicated LYLM community radio station set up in the market with a licence to broadcast on 87.8FM for the two week period. They will present and promote all activities taking place.
Town centre / Time Square area
Sat 18 May
- Warrington Food Festival (approx 40 food traders)
- Love food hate waste road-show (WBC waste services)
- Town centre history guided tours
- Fair-trade Section
- Created in W.A Craft section (Approx 60 traders)
- Street Entertainment
Sat 25 May
- Teenage market with stalls operated by young entrepreneurs (16 -21 year olds)
- Titan the robot
- Doctor who & Daleks
- Young musicians on a small stage in Time Sq
- The Zimmers
- Flashmob dance (discussed with youth zone)
Wed 29 May
- Where’s Wally event in Time Sq
- Flash mob charity event – how many Wallys can we get in Time Sq area?
Sat 18 May – Vintage Market – approximately 40 specialist traders
Sat 25 May – National Family Day – Co-ordinated by Family information Services,
Test trading opportunity – a limited number of stalls in the indoor market made available to new start up businesses FREE OF CHARGE to test trade their innovative ideas for the two week period. (Subject to application and interview)
- Market Cake – a huge cake display with characters representing the market
- Table Tennis Tournament – “support your local trader” as they compete against each other in this charity challenge!
- Best Dressed Stall Competition – with public voting
- History Exhibition celebrating the market in Warrington
- Market Land Train – a fun ride around the town centre
- Guided History Tours of the market building (by Mark Olly TV presenter)
- Business Enterprise Advice – various open days with business support services