23 Jun Aylesbury Love Your Local Market Launch
We organised a great flash mob dance on Saturday 23rd to launch our Love Your Local market campaign.
Before the song started we were playing 1950’s/1960’s music, so to then have an up to date dance song come on completely changed the tempo. The dancers were from lots of different groups and had all been rehearsing separately (we weren’t even sure how many – if any! – would come.) There were a lot of people filming (including the Bucks Herald) and the atmosphere was great – attracting large crowds. There is already a large number of views on the You Tube films that have been posted so far. I have attached two links from different angles so you can get a better idea of crowd numbers.
The plans for celebrating our markets for the next two weeks are:
• Love your local Farmers market on 26 June with gardening talks and workshops from our resident expert. We will also be creating a “chill out” area with seating and free tea and coffee so that attendees can enjoy the workshops in a relaxed social environment. We will also be giving away free promotional items including fridge magnet shopping lists and book marks.
• Love your local Antique and Collectibles market on 26 June – free valuations to the public of small and collectible items by a local antique expert – John Bly.
• Our largest event for this period will be our “Love your local market” day on 30 June. We have an exciting line up planned including street entertainers, face painters, large silver band, local discounts, recipe hand-outs, antique car, pottery painting, a steel drumming duo and a large craft fair in Kingsbury.
• Antique and Collectibles market 3 July – an auction of special items from the stall holders – hosted by a local expert John Dickens of Dickens Auctioneers.
• On the last day of the campaign we are ensuring that the market is the epi- centre of our annual Roald Dahl parade. The parade will be very large this year as it celebrates its 10th anniversary and attracts national coverage. The parade will circle the market, we will have live music on the market, and an Information point for events running across the town.
For the whole two week period we will erect bunting and balloons on the market and will run incentives to attract new traders and new shoppers.